Grasshopper Animation: Biblically Accurate Egg?

---

Alternatively titled "Grasshopper Animation: My Sisyphean Torment," this weeks assignment was to make either a 2D or 3D animation using the tools we learned about in Grasshopper. My original idea was to make something similar to the vase from last week, but create an animation that stretched/resized it. 


I started out with this shape, mostly building it in Grasshopper and using some different tools to manipulate; at this stage I realized I hadn't actually started with the remap feature so I couldn't actually animate it, and I went back and made some changes.


Right away I realized I had probably put too many functions together and wasn't sure how to fix it, so I ended up scrapping it and starting over since I wasn't happy with it. Here's the gif I ended up with from this object (I have to say it is definitely... something!):


After that I thought about something with rings revolving around a central object, inspired by some illustrations I've seen of biblical descriptions of angels!


I wanted the vaguely egg shaped object in the middle to be glowing, so I used an emission material for it and then added a point light to make it stronger. I also used the multiplication and division commands to make the rings spin at different speeds, since that looked better than having a uniform movement. Here's what my final algorithm in grasshopper looked like:


And here's the final gif as well as another variation with different lighting + the final rotate 3D turned off! I also messed around with scaling the middle piece but wasn't really a fan of that so I kept it out of the final.


Overall I'm pretty happy with how this turned out! It's really interesting to see just how much stuff can be done using Grasshopper, I'm excited to learn more. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts