Progress III - Extra Stuff

 I figured I'd make a post sharing some pictures of how I made the other pieces! I didn't really run into any problems so I don't have much to say here, but I'll try to include a few notes throughout.

---

Bottom metal piece:

This part, like most of the other pieces, was just a bunch of circles; the only real issue was getting the fillet to match the real object. I tried a couple different methods of measuring it, and got it as close as I could.

Metal clicker thing:



I made this basically the same way I made the metal pen tip, minus needing to use the loft tool.

Red plastic piece:




Out of the whole project this was probably one of the hardest pieces; mostly because I made it that way. What I should have done was made the top spiked section with the revolve tool, but instead I made most of the piece, then had to measure the spikes, make each individual one in a line, extrude them, and bend them around the top of the tube. I couldn't tell you why I did that!


Plastic tube:


Compared to the last piece this was definitely the easiest! It's literally just a tube. With like 6 threads inside.

Plastic shell:



The plastic shell on the other hand looked deceptively easy. For this one I did what I should have done with a lot of the other pieces, which was make the shape as a curve and then revolve it; the harder part was figuring out the text printed on it. While I was originally going to use the text tool or even try to create it using hatching(?) I realized very quickly that this wasn't going to work, and ended up watching a confusing YouTube video teaching people how to make decals in Rhino.

(Decal)

(Front view of pen shell with decal applied)

(Decal properties)




Metal clip:




This was also one of the harder pieces, not because of the object itself but the fact that I could barely measure the underside of it without risking breaking the pen. In the end I did my best and made the choice to simplify it a little while making sure it still reflected the actual object.

And that is all! I hope this was a fun look into my process as a tortured artist :)

- Forrest



Comments

Popular Posts