Milestone Project #1 Progress - This isn't What it Looks Like

---
For this week we had to start our first milestone project: making a stacked objects using the tools we learned about this week in Grasshopper. I'm a little behind this week, although I have stuff to show I'm not 100% sure what I want to do. I'm leaning more towards something functional/useful over my other designs because I'd like to make something I could actually use!

I started out sketching some ideas; I first came up with a pencil holder that doubled as a planter. While I thought about maybe having it resemble an abstract tree/plant it kind of ended up looking like an object used for ~illicit substances~ (the reason for the title) so I'm not too sure about it. My other ideas were a desktop organizer/shelving system (which we'll see in a minute was the only one that turned out) and a lamp that resembles the moon! It would be a table lamp because with my luck I'd hang it from the ceiling wrong and knock myself out with it.

The start of the first pencil holder and further proof that I really didn't realize what it looked like until after because I just kept working on it!

Then I tried this terrarium thing but I couldn't figure out how to make it hollow? And it wasn't really an interesting/difficult enough shape so I just scrapped it.

After that I moved on to the moon lampshade, but with it being a sectioned object I couldn't really get the cutouts to work. Part of the way through I also took a look at the table lamp I would be putting it on and realized I probably can't take it apart without breaking it so there wasn't much point in moving forward.

The idea for desk shelves/an organizer is pretty simple, I plan to boolean difference the individual pieces so after they're finished in the laser cutter I can just slot them together!

Before making a post this morning I messed around a bit more in the program and came up with this mushroom shape; while its simpler than the other things I worked on I still think it's interesting visually and something I may consider moving forward with (since I'm not sure if the shelves are the kind of thing I'm supposed to be doing for this project).

And that's it for this week! I'm excited to see how everyone's projects are going in class tomorrow. As for me, I seem to be struggling a bit with figuring out grasshopper in general so I'm probably going to try to meet with the software tutor when I can. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts