Algorithmic Surface Modeling

 


---

Our second project this week was to model a surface in Rhino/Grasshopper, and create a surface that could be paneled on it as well as animate it. This was the object that I started with for paneling, as well as the curves I lofted into the shape that was being referenced:

Although I was sick this week and wasn't able to attend class, I found the reading relatively easy to follow and was able to panel my edited object pretty quickly.


I did however run into a problem as soon as I started trying to move the master slider or render the animation.


After getting this for a while, it started rendering the animation at a staggering 1 frame per every 5 minutes or so. And after all that, I had forgotten to check what the individual frames would even look like so I waited almost an hour for this: 

😐

I ended up deciding to look at the project with fresh eyes the next day, and started out with scaling the objects way down, simplifying some things, and then editing the modifiers on the master slider so they made more sense:

I ended up with something I like a lot better! Here's the final gif:

(Please ignore the watermark it's the only gif maker I could find that would loop like this and I can't get rid of it)

Overall I think this was pretty successful, Paneling like this is definitely a useful tool that I'll be using in the future for my own projects! Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular Posts