310 Milestone Projects - Overview ( + some extra stuff!)


 

---

Here's an overview of all this semester's milestone projects, an illustration I used Rhino to help make, and some extra 3D printing work I did over the last couple of months!

#1: My First Definition



Despite having taken 210 last semester, by the start of this class I had already managed to forget pretty much everything we learned. Between that and never using Grasshopper before, I decided to go with something simple; a vase thing inspired by the weird minimalist decorations you get at winners that I hate so so much!

#2: Grasshopper Animation


For the second project, I animated a horribly cursed object: the biblically accurate egg. If I could do this again I'd probably add clusters of eyes as decals to the outside rings to make it even worse to look at.

#2: Stacked Slices Model



At first I really struggled with this project, but in the end I came up with something I'm pretty proud of! As I'm writing this the model is sitting half-painted on my desk which is probably the state it will be in when I show it tomorrow.

#4: Replicate/Remediate Project

(couldn't get the video to work so pretend there's a cool video of the mould being poured while I figure out how to fix that)
(First 2 pulls from the plaster mould, featuring my shame hiding in the back (pulled it out too soon))

Honestly this project was a ton of fun and definitely my favourite of the class! I haven't taken any fine arts classes besides MADT in first year so it was great to do something a little more hands-on. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to see my bisqued model yet so I'll update with a picture of that when I can.

Extra Stuff


While this wasn't my first time using Rhino for an illustration project (that castle from last sem became a reference for a few high fantasy-themed comps), this was definitely my favourite! We had to make a set of genre-twist illustrations based on a classic, so I went with a cyberpunk retelling of Lord of the Rings. I used Rhino to model this abandoned street/storefront as it was difficult to figure out the perspective and lighting I wanted.

Here are a few 3D printing projects I've done! Most of these were pulled off of Thingiverse:

Ink Ribbon from older Resident Evil games (not finished painting)

Umbrella container (based on Resident Evil games)

Zelda keychain
BOTW Guardian Switch stand!

And that's all! Sorry for the incredibly long post, the extra stuff was originally going to be spread out across the semester but I didn't have the time. This was definitely my favourite class of the semester and I'm sad there isn't a 400-level class! I'm not ready to be done creating cool shapes. Hopefully, this will open up more opportunities for me to make stuff in the future and I'll try to keep updating this blog with stuff. It was great meeting everyone and seeing their work, until next time and as always thank you for reading! :)

- Forrest

Comments

Popular Posts